Friday, January 12, 2007

Top 5 Must Haves for Traveling

I've compiled a list of the top five DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT items for our trip. Many of them specifically for our flights, since that's the part I'm most nervous about, but also for the whole trip in general.
Here you go, the Top 5 Must Haves for traveling:

If you are Savannah...
  1. Lammie -can't go anywhere without her
  2. Blanket -can't sleep anywhere without it
  3. Chocolate Girl -Chocolate Girl is a little doll from a McDonald's Happy Meal like, oh say a year ago, that suddenly Savannah has formed a inseperable bond with. The last few weeks she plays with her all the time, sleeps with her (this doll is hard plastic and about 4 inches tall), and talks either to her or about her all throughout the day. I was wondering for a while if Lammie was going to be replaced. (Chocolate Girl is darker skinned, if you were wondering about her name...)
  4. Notebook and Pencil -the only way to keep the kid still is to hand her a pencil or crayons.
  5. Snacks -pretty self-explanatory

If you are Sawyer...
  1. Froggy -is within reach at almost all times
  2. Binky -and lots of spares. I'm usually very much NOT the parent who just uses these to plug the kid up, but I fear for the sanity (and eardrums) of other passengers on the plane.
  3. Spoon -this kid has a strange obsession with spoons and he carries one around probably 50% of the time he's awake. Sometimes it's along with a bowl or cup from Savannah's play dishes, and then he'll pretend to feed the dolls or the stuffed animals or me, but more often than not he's just walking around with a spoon. Or reading books with a spoon. Or playing cars. Or building blocks. Or whatever it is he happens to be doing... with one hand clasped tightly around a spoon.
  4. Snacks
  5. More Snacks (maybe the spoon obsession stems from a food obsession?!)

If you are the Mommy...
  1. Ibuprofen -I'm taking a handful at take-off just to stay two steps ahead of the headache I know is coming
  2. My phone -I always feel really vulnerable without my phone. What if there's an emergency? What if I miss my connecting flight? What if we get stranded somewhere? I know there are other phones around, but the problem is I don't know any phone numbers anymore... they're all in my phone!
  3. A watch -I can't stand not knowing what time it is the whole flight. Or am I better off not knowing?
  4. Snacks -that I either won't have time to eat at all, or I'll end up sharing (if that's what you call it when the other person eats all but that one first bite that made it into your mouth) with the kids.
  5. Tranquilizers for the Kids A Good Stiff Drink As Much Patience as I can Pack

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you WANT to take this trip?? LOL We all want you here of course;I can understand why you might be a little nervous.I would be too!Does Sawyer still use the "sleep machine" ( or radio static)to fall asleep to? I am glad to hear Savannah has no preference of "flavors" for her dolls.We still have a "chocolate"cabbage patch doll around here.Hope she likes her,too!Happy Travels! You are in our thoughts and prayers XOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in your travels. I hope that everything goes well. We look forward to hearing how your trip went.