Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All is calm...

It's quiet around here this morning. Sawyer was awake bright and early at 6am, but I think he fell back to sleep about 6:30 and I still don't hear anything from his room. Savannah "slept in" (I hope you realize I use that term loosely) a little too... she must have been wiped out from her Christmas program last night.

The Program...
went well! It was very sweet. All four classes (two 3-year-old classes and two 4-year-old classes) performed together and that place was packed! They held the program at the church next door and it was standing room only. Well, in the end, you could easily have a seat if you wanted because half the parents were standing on the sides with video cameras and the middle aisle was packed halfway back with kneeling parents and their cameras trying to get a good shot. Ryan was on the sidelines (partly to video, but mostly to stand up with Sawyer who would not sit still to save his life) and I think he got most of it on video, but I had the camera and I got nothing. We were there 15 minutes early and the pews were already filled up three quarters of the way back. And I wasn't about to wade through the other parents camping out in the aisles once the singing started to get a good picture. It was insane! So I have yet to look at the shots I did take. I'll see if I can salvage anything from the dark and distant shots I got and I'll post them later today. I'm actually counting on being able to steal a few still shots from the video camera. Keep your fingers crossed for that one.
But Savannah did awesome! She was up there doing all the motions and singing well. She spotted her daddy and brother over on the side and then proceeded to point them out to all the kids around her.

Then there's a 'poor Savannah' story though...
See, she had had just a touch of diarrhea that afternoon. She never complained about her tummy, but there were two instances of a "toot" that produced a little more than just air, if you know what I mean. It totally took her by surprise and then she would put her hand in her pants and what she found shocked and upset her. She kept asking me, confused and tearful, "why did I poop in my underwear?!?"
Anyway, that was early afternoon and she never really had any "production" other than that, so by dinnertime when we were getting ready to go to the program I had pretty much forgotten about it. I made sure Savannah went to the bathroom before she went backstage and thought we were good to go.
Well, halfway through the third song up on stage (shortly after spying her dad in the front left) I saw her freeze. Now, up until this point she had been singing enthusiastically and doing all the motions with the songs and ringing the bells and everything. So all of a sudden she freezes and looks around like she's going to cry. She stands there for a few moments not singing and then when that song was finished, she hesitantly stepped down from her step and made a beeline across the stage to her daddy. Her teacher, Ms. Kristy, intercepted and directed her back to her spot saying, "we have one more song". Savannah obeyed perfectly and went back to her spot, but was no longer enthusiastic nor singing. When the kids were dismissed to find their parents to join them in the seats to sing the last Christmas carols, Savannh made her way over to Ryan and I met them in the back to take her directly to the bathroom. Poor little girl. She did such a good job, and she was so upset that she kept "leaking" like that.
We stayed a bit for the party afterward (they had a surprise Santa and Mrs. Claus there... once again, great picture opportunity in a much nicer environment!!) and visited, but Savannah made about four more false alarm trips to the bathroom before we called it quits and headed home.
It was a great evening overall, I just felt bad for Savannah and her "unexpected toots".

Well, like I said, I'll take a llook at the pictures we got, and get what I can on here later today. I gotta go get dressed before Porter gets here this morning. But it's so nice and quiet around here... I just want to stay here on the couch and do nothing. Feels like such a lazy day around here. Of course I guess that's because normally by this time of the morning I've been chasing a toddler around for almost an hour already. What are the chances my kids would ever sleep in on a weekend?!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Savannah Joy! At least her nerves didn't get the best of her.

Anonymous said...

Tell Savannah we are all proud of the good job she did at her program last nite.Maybe she could do an encore for the family in Oregon,in your living room? I know I would like that.So nice that you had some quiet time this morning. Tricia and Becky just left for shopping,so it's nice and quiet here too.xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

Anonymous said...

We gramma's think alike don't we?! Merry Christmas Gramma Debbie!